When planning a vacation, home security should be at the top of your checklist. No one wants to skimp and save for that much-needed vacation, then spend the entire trip worrying if his or her home is safe. Once you’ve left on your vacation, it’s too late to start thinking about home security– so plan before you leave. Here are some simple tips from the home security experts at Alarms R Us to help keep your home safe while you are away.
- Before you leave on vacation, please give us a call at (718) 996-6900 with the dates you will be away and a phone number where you can be reached. This way, we will be able to notify you in case your alarm goes off. You may also want to give us a trusted neighbor’s phone number to contact in case of an emergency.
- Display your Alarms R Us decals and lawn signs. This is an excellent deterrent to criminals. Place the signs where they can easily be seen. Place decals on your windows and doors.
Give the Impression that Someone is Home
- Utilize timers on your indoor and outdoor lights. It’s best if the timers turn the indoor lights on and off in a random manner.
- Cancel your mail and newspaper while you’re away, or have a neighbor pick them up daily. Don’t let them pile up on your porch and mailbox.
- Have a car parked in your driveway. This makes burglars think someone is at home.
- Make sure all windows and doors are locked. Your window locks may not be strong enough, so upgrade them- and use them! Unlocked windows are a frequent point of entry.
- Inform a trusted neighbor you are leaving, and ask them to keep an eye on your home.
- Don’t leave a message on your phone voicemail or email that you’re out of town. Also, avoid putting statuses on Facebook or other social media sites that let people know you are away.
For more information on what Alarms R Us can do to protect your home or business in Brooklyn, NY, or surrounding areas, contact us today at (718) 996-6900. We offer competitive rates and current specials to save you money and give you peace of mind.